About BSA

BSA visual artists featured at U.S. Department of Education's Student Art Exhibit Program
03.10.16

Fifty BSA visual artists in grades 9-12 were featured at the U.S. Department of Education’s Student Art Exhibit Program. The program provides students and teachers an opportunity to display creative work from the classroom in a highly public place that honors their work as an effective path to learning and knowledge for all. BSA's exhibit, called "The Development of the Young Artist," ran in March & April, 2016.

“This exhibit of art work and the performances at the opening by students at the Baltimore School for the Arts are evidence of what it takes to develop a successful young person: curiosity, confidence, expertise, collaboration, purpose, and global perspective. These are in fact the school’s core values. I congratulate the teachers and the school’s leader, Chris Ford, for their keen focus on providing an excellent well-rounded education that will ensure their students’ success in school, their careers and their lives,” said Acting U.S. Secretary of Education John B. King Jr. To read the department's blog about the event, click here.

To learn more about the development of the young artist at BSA, click here. The work pictured at right is called "Primary Triad with Pink Chair" by Natalie Snyder ‘17 and is one of the pieces included. To see the program from the opening with a list of all the artists, click here. Stephen Kent, BSA Visual Arts Department Head, was the Exhibit Curator, and Claire Brisendine, Kirsten Rook and Kyle Tata, were the BSA Exhibit Coordinators.

The ribbon-cutting ceremony, in the Department’s headquarters auditorium in Washington, D.C. was held on Friday, March 11. Monique Chism, deputy assistant secretary in the Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, delivered remarks at the opening, as did Chris Ford, BSA’s director. The event featured live performances by students in the school’s string and jazz ensembles, as well as in the theatre and voice programs. In addition, videos by Joe Rubino, an independent filmmaker, were presented.

The U.S. Department of Education’s Student Art Exhibit Program, now in its 13th year, features visual, literary and performing art created by students in U.S. and international schools, from pre-K through professional art school. The program features two exhibits at all times: the year-round exhibit of works by winners of the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards competition; and exhibits, rotated every two months, that accommodate the many educators who want to exhibit their students’ work. The program is currently booked through 2019.

To visit the exhibit and receive more information about the Department’s Student Art Exhibit Program, contact Jackye Zimmerman at 202-401-0762 or at Jacquelyn.Zimmermann@ed.gov.

« Go Back

View All Recent News Articles

Support BSA. Click Here To Donate.
"TWIGS was a chance for me to be with other kids I was not in school with, to be with different teachers who were serious about art."
Dorian Dean
Visual Art Student

Featured GALLERY