Photograph of Baltimore School for the Arts students working on a film project

Join the Newsletter

Sign Up for Updates!

In the News Film

The New Charles C. Baum Film and Visual Storytelling Department

The Baltimore School for the Arts (BSA) and Baltimore City Public Schools are pleased to announce the launch of the Charles C. Baum Film and Visual Storytelling Program for high school students at BSA. Film and Visual Storytelling will complement the school’s celebrated training in dance, music, theatre, and visual arts, as well as its college preparatory academic program.

Baltimore’s young people have important stories to tell and this program will provide pre-professional training to do it using visual media. Specifically, students will study creative writing and story construction, camera technique, art direction, and sound design for films, as well as editing and distribution of the final product. More broadly, this program will include major components of a 21st-century education: critical thinking, cultural literacy, community engagement, collaboration, and technical expertise.

This new program will contribute to building more pathways to excellence for Baltimore students. City Schools provide diverse programming to prepare students for exciting and meaningful lives, ranging from International Baccalaureate to new P-TECH programs. Students in the new Film and Visual Storytelling program will be creating films about their lives, their city, and their world, as BSA works to be an incubator for influential filmmakers of the future.

Auditions for this new program will be held on February 11, 2017. The initial 9th grade class is intended to be 16 students and will eventually represent a 50-student increase in BSA’s population. If you would like to audition, please apply in person at the school (712 Cathedral Street) January 3-13. Applications will be available in the front office. We will then contact you with an audition time for February 11.

Students who have already registered to audition for two other BSA departments during the January auditions may retain both of their auditions and apply for the film program as well. However, they must come by the school and fill out a new application in person January 3-13.

Students interested in auditioning may review our audition instructions.

Join the Newsletter

Sign Up for Updates!