Photograph of Baltimore School for the Arts students performing on stage

Join the Newsletter

Sign Up for Updates!

In the News General News

2016 Expressions a Success

Expressions 2016, BSA’s popular annual show featuring our students, is a vital fundraiser for the school and TWIGS. Proceeds from Expressions help to provide for everything from performances and scholarships to master classes, cultural outings, and supplies. Over the course of a long weekend and three great events, we welcomed 2,000 guests to the school to see our students perform. We raised more than half a million dollars this year and we’re grateful to the generous community of sponsors and guests, family, and friends who helped us to reach this goal!

Expressions events included a Saturday Gala on March 5; two family performances on Sunday, March 6; and a cocktail party for the business community and friends sponsored by BSA’s Stage One|FANS on Tuesday, March 8. All performances sold out this year — Thank you for the support and enthusiasm! To see a slideshow of photos from the event, click here. To see the Baltimore Sun’s 2016 Scene & Heard gallery, click here. To read Dr. Ford’s blog that recaps his speech with links to videos by filmmaker Joe Rubino, click here.

This year we welcomed Linda Weinberg and Alexander Baer as Chairs of the gala event. A packed house enjoyed student performances in dance, theatre, and music including selections from The Wiz featuring backdrops designed by visual arts and stage production students. To see the program, click here.

Guests also attended “classes” before the show, and generously bid more than $20,000 on auction packages in honor of Donald Hicken & Stephen Kent for BSA’s endowment. To see a piece on WJZ about Expressions and Donald & Stephen and their students, click here.

Bhek and Allison Simmons chaired Sunday’s family performances and Morgan Gilligan and Jennifer Langford chaired Tuesday’s event.

We were also delighted to introduce the BSA Mix Lab — a web-based app that allows users to create videos combining student artists. To give it a whirl and try your hand at directing, click here!

Expressions is BSA’s primary source of annual funds for the school and sponsors make all the difference in helping us to reach our goals. Special thanks to our 2016 Presenting Sponsors — M&T Bank; Robert E. Meyerhoff and Rheda Becker; and War Horse — and to all of the generous contributors who support BSA. For a full list of 2016 sponsors, click here. If you’d like to make a gift in honor of Expressions to our annual fund, click here.THANK YOU!

To see The Baltimore Sun‘s video of the 2016 party, click here. For The Baltimore Sun‘s video recap of last year’s 2015 Saturday, click here. For The Sun’s 2015 Scene and Heard gallery, click here.

Join the Newsletter

Sign Up for Updates!