Music - Overview
Welcome to the website for a wonderfully exciting place – the Baltimore School for the Arts -- the most interesting school I’ve ever seen. It’s a fascinating place because of the people who are here (faculty and students) and their energy and commitment to music.
Everything we do is designed to develop your abilities to match your potential. Finding out who you are musically is a great journey full of surprising discoveries with fantastic rewards.
Our faculty of 40 professional musicians helps you along this path with courses designed to focus on your individual development. We do this via
- weekly individual lessons in your major area of study (be it oboe or violin or voice) with an accomplished, professional performer
- music literacy classes to enable you to look at a page of music and hear it in your mind or to hear a melody and be able to write it down quickly
- performance ensembles--large and small--vocal and instrumental—designed to teach how to make music with others in many settings
- repertoire classes designed to give you confidence to perform as a soloist before an audience
- music history classes that put music in its musical and historical context
- guest artists that bring the professional music world inside the school walls
All of this is done in a community of 130 music students from across the region, brought together by a common desire to discover their potential in music. These students are a very diverse group—from many different neighborhoods, studying many different instruments and voice, with a wide range of backgrounds.
These students learn to work together, to manage their own development and to reach high artistic standards. They have an opportunity to collaborate with musicians from the Peabody Institute, from the Baltimore Symphony and from many different vocal ensembles. These students are sought after by the finest conservatories and music schools around the country. By finding their own potential they find their place in the American music world.
I hope you’ll take some time to look around this site and see what the School for the Arts has to offer you. Perhaps you can plan to attend a performance and meet some of the students and faculty afterwards. Perhaps you’ll see yourself as a candidate for the school and begin to develop the potential that is inside you. We’re ready to meet you and hear what you can do!