About BSA

BSA ranked #1 in Baltimore City by U.S. News & World report; students excel academically
06.20.16

U.S. News and World Report released its 2016 rankings of nearly 20,000 public schools across the country in April and BSA placed #1 in Baltimore City and in the top 8% nationwide, earning distinction as one of America's Best High Schools and a Silver Badge again this year. Congrats to all of our students who work so hard in their academic and arts classes, and to the fantastic faculty that helps to guide and inspire our young scholars!

Congrats to the Class of 2016

Seniors in the Class of 2016 graduated on June 7 at BSA's 35th Commencement. They're headed to some of the top arts and academic programs at universities across the country including this year Harvard, Juilliard, University of Chicago, Princeton, Peabody Institute, Haverford, Eastman School of Music, Brubeck Institute, Indiana University and so many others. To see the college list for the class, click here.

These students distinguished themselves both academically and artistically throughout their high school careers, earning recognition from the National Merit Scholarship program, YoungArts, Central Maryland Choral Vocal Competition, State of Maryland Merit program, Artscape, the U.S. Department of Education, and others. 

2015-16 at BSA

In May, a large cohort of rising seniors were inducted to the National Honor Society for excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership, service, and character. To see the list, click here. To see last year's members, click here.

This past year, BSA students also had the highest SAT scores in Baltimore City. Collectively, their scores went up by 50 points in a year where there was a general decline nationally.

In March, BSA sent 15 projects to the Baltimore City History Day Competition. Of the 18 prizes awarded to high schools, BSA brought home 6 of the awards! Three students advanced to the second round of judging for Moody's Mega Math Challenge. Only 174 of the 1,084 teams that submitted viable solution papers were selected to advance to the second round of judging. Moody's Mega Math challenge is competition organized by the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.

Looking back:

In 2015 one student was a National Merit Scholarship winner (and five were commended). A few of the other academic and artistic accomplishments in 2014-15 included four YoungArts winners; an honoree in Center Stage’s 2015 Young Playwright’s Festival; the 2015 Fred Lazarus IV Artscape Prize; a winner in the Words on Wheels poetry competition with a display on MTA buses; a sweep of the top three spots at the Laurel Choral Arts Society Vocal Competition; and more! For a profile highlighting four of last year's distinguished students, click here.

Most of BSA's seniors continue directly to colleges and universities each fall. To see BSA's college admission list, click here. For BSA's newsletters featuring student achievements, click here.

In its fall 2014 rankings of America's Top High Schools, The Daily Beast/Newsweek placed BSA in the Top 100 for College Bound and 167th overall. To see the article, click here.

« Go Back

View All Recent News Articles

Support BSA. Click Here To Donate.
"TWIGS was a chance for me to be with other kids I was not in school with, to be with different teachers who were serious about art."
Dorian Dean
Visual Art Student

Featured GALLERY